Indoor Air Quality Consulting
The term Indoor Air Quality describes the quality of air within a building and is of interest due to its impact on the health of the building occupants. Indoor concentrations of some air pollutants are sometimes two to five times higher than outdoor concentrations. Although the importance of poor indoor air quality (IAQ) in occupational settings has long been realized, awareness of IAQ in residential, commercial and public buildings is a more recent development. The mounting concern over IAQ has paralleled the increase in reported illnesses related to indoor air pollutants.
A number of historical events have contributed to the increase in indoor air quality problems, including:
- The development and use of synthetic building materials and furnishings
- The tightening of buildings in the 1970s for energy conservation
- Introduction of chemical-intensive devices, such as computers, photocopiers and laser printers, into the workplace
- Changes in demographics that resulted in the majority of workers spending 75 to 90 percent of their time indoors
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ranks indoor air pollution as one of the top five environmental risks to public health.
At the Institute for Environmental Assessment, Inc. (IEA), our experienced consultants assist schools, hospitals, commercial building owners, insurance companies and government agencies with indoor environmental quality (IEQ) concerns in their buildings. Based in the upper Midwest since 1984, we provide environmental consulting services throughout the United States and can help you resolve your IEQ concerns.
Contact IEA toll-free at 800.233.9513 for more information about indoor air quality. Learn how our specialists can help your organization.
Services offered by IEA
We offer experienced consulting services in the following indoor air quality areas:
- Due diligence
- Mold/moisture assessments
- Industrial hygiene
- Infection control
- Ventilation system design, assessment and evaluation
Our consultants will provide comprehensive investigative, management, and project design and oversight services.
- Document facility issues and occupant concerns
- Complete a preliminary walk-through to identify sources of contaminants
- Conduct a thorough inspection of the heating and ventilation (HVAC) system
- Develop and conduct a prudent, custom-designed testing protocol
- Analyze fungal samples in our own laboratory
- Develop a comprehensive written report detailing the survey findings and presenting practical recommendations
- Assist with managing ongoing communications, reporting and public relations
- Conduct a custom-designed baseline survey
- Develop a customized indoor air quality management plan
- Help integrate air quality management into existing building maintenance programs
- Develop training programs for maintenance personnel
- Present a final report identifying procedures for resolving problems, recommended changes in maintenance procedures and facility modifications where necessary
Remedial design and monitoring
- Design and monitor remediation programs for identified IAQ problems
- Help maintain compliance with all building codes and standards affecting indoor air quality
Contact IEA toll-free at 800.233.9513 for more information about indoor air quality. Learn how our specialists can help your organization. From offices in Minnesota and Nebraska, we serve the upper Midwest and beyond.