Chemical Hygiene and Laboratory Safety
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) developed a Laboratory Safety Standard to protect employees from hazardous chemical exposure while employed in a lab. This standard applies primarily to research labs, schools and universities, hospitals and other organizations that use a small amount of hazardous chemicals in their work.
About IEA and its clients
At the Institute for Environmental Assessment, Inc. (IRA), our health and safety consultants help clients comply with OSHA standards related to chemical hygiene. IEA, founded in 1984, is based in the upper Midwest and serves the United States from its offices in Minnesota and Nebraska. Clients include school districts, colleges and universities, hospitals, research labs and other organizations where employees might experience exposure to small amounts of hazardous chemicals.
To learn how our specialists can help you meet OSHA’s Lab Safety standard, contact IEA toll-free. Call 800.233.9513.
IEA’s chemical hygiene and lab safety services
Site audits to evaluate the procedures for using and storing chemicals, including:
- Risk assessment
- Analysis of personal protective equipment (PPE) need and use
- Evaluation of workplace hazards
- Fume hood investigation
- Exposure monitoring
- Recommendations for corrective action where needed
- Employee training
- Customized chemical hygiene written plans
- Determination of chemical disposal methods
- Accident response training and accident investigation
- Periodic assessments
- Documentation and records management related to chemical hygiene
To learn more about IEA’s health and safety consulting services in the area of lab safety and chemical hygiene, call us toll-free at 800.233.9513.